About us

Our building*

*A Museum that has welcomed visitors since 1899.

1260 – 1787

At the very same place where the Stedelijk Museum Schiedam is located at present, there used to be Sint Jacobs Gasthuis, an almshouse founded in 1262 by Countess Aleida van Henegouwen. She was a sister of Willem III, Count of Holland. The poor and sick of 40 years and older were welcome in the Gasthuis – because you were considered to be elderly from that age onward. A map of 1560 shows that by that time the Gasthuis already had the same layout as today: a chapel in the middle with wings and several houses on either side.

1787 – 1934

By the end of the 18th century the old Gasthuis was demolished to make room for a new building,  designed by the Italian architect Jan Giudici (1746-1819). The style of the new building was completely different: finished in 1787 it was in the style of neoclassicism that was much en vogue at the time. The layout is symmetrical and the chapel where Museum visitors enter today has a classicistic façade with a fronton and huge columns. The two wings look like relatively simple dwellings from that time, the men living on the left, the women on the right.

1934 – 2006

In 1934 the residents of Sint Jacobs Gasthuis moved to a new, more comfortable building on Burgemeester Knappertlaan, also in Schiedam. In following years the building had no particular purpose, until the Stedelijk Museum Schiedam moved out of the Sint Joris Doelen into the old Gasthuis in 1940.

Queen Beatrix

The rooms where the women used to live was given a new function, as Museum galleries and offices. The men’s wing was not added to the Museum until 1966. All the time the attic served as a depot. The building was renovated in 2003 and the layout of the Museum underwent a drastic change. The number of exhibition galleries was increased from four to eleven. The festive reopening of the Museum by Queen Beatrix took place on 8 April 2006.

Red cupboards

The visitors enters the Museum by way of the former chapel, where the Museum café and the Museum store have been located since 2013. The architects office of MVRDV – known for the Markthal in Rotterdam – decorated the interior walls with big red cupboards, which are filled with objects from the collection and decorated by Maarten Spruijt.